Shopping Cart

Tax Credits (formerly Rebates)

Can I claim tax credits? Companies, trusts and partnerships cannot claim tax credits. However, you as an individual may be due tax credits if you have:

  • Made donations to an approved charity of $5 or more
  • Paid for childcare or a housekeeper

To claim in either of the above instances, you must have earned taxable income during the claim period and lived in New Zealand at any time during the tax year.

What should I do next? If you claimed tax credits on a charitable donation, childcare or a housekeeper in the last financial year then the IRD will automatically send you a Tax Credit Claim form (IRD 526) for this year. If this is your first claim, download the latest version of the IRD 526 here.

How do I elect the correct tax rate? RWT tax rates vary depending on you and the type of business you’re in. To find out more about RWT and your tax rate, give us a call and we can look at it with you, or find out more from the RWT section of the IRD website.